adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

17 April 2015

Chicago Botanic Garden: Signs of Spring

At last, spring has arrived! I have had a great time visiting Chicago Botanic Garden many times, and observing all the changes from one season to the next.

The earliest spring blooms included crocus, witch hazel, and iris.

witch hazel
 
Hamamelis x intermedia 'Primavera' (witch hazel)


Magnolia buds were waiting to burst forth with gorgeous blossoms and a heavenly scent; after anxiously awaiting their arrival, I was rewarded.


magnolia




Magnolia x loebneri 'Merrill'


Acer rubrum brought subtle beauty with small, crimson flowers.


acer rubrum 
Acer rubrum 'October Glory' (red maple)


Cardinals, robins, and other birds hopped happily along pathways and branches. Aconite, fragrant viburnum, pansies, and forget-me-nots added a life to previously drab garden beds.



robin






Viola 'Etain'

Viola 'Etain'


Out of the soil popped daffodils with flowers reminiscent of sunny days, and tulips in every colour imaginable.



Narcissus

Narcissus 'Verona'


Perhaps the most delightful, and important, signs of spring I spotted were bees buzzing from flower to flower.



Bee


***

Click here and here for more pictures!
 
Winter has a beauty of its own, which I have learned to appreciate, but I cannot deny the glory of spring! After so many months of gray and brown, vibrant colours are a sight to behold. In years past I hadn't quite noticed the smallest signs of spring, and I feel it is nothing short of a privilege to be aware of such things. So many people do not understand how miraculous nature is. There were so many plants that I didn't mention, and so many yet to be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular