adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

04 May 2016

Wildflower Wednesday 5.4.16

I have quite a few posts sitting in my drafts as usual, waiting for a few finishing touches. Sometimes it is just hard to get the motivation to finish them. That's what happened with my wedding post! 

Thankfully, Wordless Wednesdays help me to make an easy post once in a while. But this time, I decided to do a Wildflower Wednesday instead! It's that season after all and I *need* to talk about these! If you've been following me on Instagram, many of these photos will seem familiar. ;)

First up is Arisaema triphyllum (Jack-in-the-pulpit), which I had noticed a few days ago poking up out of the ground. Today I checked again, and voilá! I was correct in my ID.




I happened by some Fragaria virginiana (wild strawberry) on a walk recently, and was lucky to see it bloom! I haven't really seen any since then. It was in a random spot in the grass near the bike path.


Captain Daniel Wright Woods is packed with Spring ephemerals, as usual. Check out this Trillim grandiflorum (great white trillium)!


Anemone hepatica var. acuta (synonym Hepatica nobilis var. acuta, among others -- aka sharp-lobed hepatica) with some Erythronium albidum (troutlily) peeking out was a sight to see!


Speaking of trout lily, in Lake County I really only see it in forest preserves and other natural areas. In Cook County near CBG, it is all over lawns!


And then there was the brilliant white of Sanguinaria canadensis (bloodroot). Those leaves are fabulous!


Trillium grandiflorum (great white trillium) seemed to be opened before T. recurvatum (prairie trillium), which is definitely in the woods, despite the common name!


 Ranunculus septentrionalis (swamp buttercup) looks shiny!




Check out the cheery pop of yellow of Caltha palustris (marsh marigold)!


 On the left is Viola conspersa (aka V. labradorica; dog violet), and on the right is our Illinois state flower V. sororia, though the state flower may be changing.


Then, there's the distinctly yellow violet, V. pubescens!


I have so many photos of spring flowers, cultivated and wild, that it would be too much to put all into one post! So, I will end the post here. I look forward to exploring the woods this weekend to find more wildflowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular