adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

07 May 2014

Learning

As I've said, I'm not an expert on botany, horticulture, or...well, anything really! I haven't gone to school for any of this, nor do I plan to. I started this blog for fun, and I truly have no idea how to "properly" blog. 

I keep learning new things about the plants, their scientific names, variations, cultivars, and how to properly write them. For example, I just realised that the Ficus benjamina is not also commonly known as Dwarf Nikita -- that is the cultivar. Ficus benjamina 'Dwarf Nikita'. Weeping Fig is a common name, instead. And they weren't kidding either. I am amazed that it still has leaves!

I correctly identified the Spider Plant as Chlorophytum comosum 'Bonnie', save for the fact that its actually 'Variegated Bonnie', as I figured out a week or two ago. I cannot for the life of me figure out if the Mother-in-Law's tongues are actually a variation, a cultivar, or perhaps a completely different-yet-similar-looking plant all together!

I still have a few mystery plants because I cannot completely figure out what they are, one of them being the sedum or graptosedum that Wal-Mart gracefully tagged as "Grafted Cactus". In fact, there is so much misinformation out there that it makes my head throb when I'm trying to do research and figure out what these plants are! So, while this is fabulous, fun, and a great way to pass the time...sometimes it is rather frustrating.

That does not deter me, however. I may not be a professional, and I may not always be right, but my heart is in the right place. I love my plants, and I love the learning process...no matter how difficult it may be at times. I love that there are varieties and cultivars...so even when I find a gem of a plant, it turns out there are many of the same type that are different in looks (it almost feels like Pokemon! Gotta catch 'em all~).

Perhaps what I love most is sharing my experiences, no matter how few people may happen upon this blog. And it goes far beyond that, even...when I display some of the plants on the windowsills for passers by to see, and when friends come over and comment "The jungle has grown! It's fabulous. What is this new one?!" Or when Steve and I dig around in dirt, repotting and planting, grinning from ear to ear while we discuss the plants and our hopes to one day have a beautiful garden and greenhouse in our future spacious backyard. Or letting Ari water or spray her own little plant, while I teach her how to tenderly care for a little seed...and I get to watch the wonder in her eyes once the seedling pops out of the dirt to greet the sunlight.

So yes, it does make my head throb, but more so, my heart. I am so in love with these experiences. I hope anyone reading is too.






No comments:

Post a Comment

popular