adventure archive

featured adventure

Alabama Adventures: Longleaf Pine Treasure Forest

After hearing about Pinus palustris from several southern botanist friends, I had to see the trees for myself! I had the great pleasure of ...

13 May 2014

Mama Robin

The other day near some bushes outside of our window, I noticed a robin's egg on the ground, cracked open (unfortunately). I assumed it was from the nearby tree. However, when I went to draw the blinds and open up the kids' window for some fresh air, I spotted something in the bush!



A nest! Since I didn't spot the Mama I went outside to take a closer look:



I went inside after taking those pictures so I wouldn't disturb them too much, as I was certain Mama Robin had to be somewhere nearby.



Well, hello there! I closed the blinds once inside so I wouldn't startle her too much. Once she settled back in the nest, I sneakily snapped two more pics!



Its fantastic that the nest is so close that I can just peer out the window, quietly, and observe the glory of nature. I really hope that everything goes well, so we can see the babies and watch them grow! It was storming rather badly last night, so I kept peeping out the window to see if they were alright. Mama Robin is doing a fantastic job protecting her babies and keeping them warm. Nature is truly amazing! Too bad I didn't notice her building the nest, but I'm grateful to watch at this stage better than none at all! Being this close is rare.

popular