adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

20 July 2018

Hiking Lake County Forest Preserves: From Sedge Meadow to Van Patten Woods



Living with chronic depression and anxiety is exhausting. I've spent nearly half my life struggling with these mental illnesses. For many years, I fought to survive; after that I searched for validation for my anger and suffering. The past few years, I stumbled my way through therapy, new medication, and redefining the parts of me altered by childhood abuse.

Now I seek balance, but as most things in life, it is easier said than done. I have days where I am exhausted and plagued with insomnia, where escaping bed is a battle I am ill equipped for. But there are good days with adequate rest, where I rise out of bed ready to take on the world.

Finally, I had one of those good days. After weeks of low energy and indisposition, I needed fresh air and verdure...so I went hiking! (For energised people in more challenging terrain, this would be considered day hiking, or perhaps glorified walking. To each their own! 😉)

~~~

The Des Plaines River Trail stretches from Wadsworth, all the way to the border of Cook County, where it connects to the Forest Preserves of Cook County trails. That's nearly 31 and a half miles through Lake County!

I selected one of my favourite spots to botanise, Sedge Meadow, as my starting point, and hiked to Van Patten Woods. Sedge Meadow used to be part of the Wetlands Demonstration Project, and is now restored; there are so many neat plants and animals to see year-round.

Despite liberally applying insect repellant (that usually works just fine), the mosquitoes were pretty awful. They seem particularly vicious this year. Aside from that issue, I took time during the hike to admire the scenery, especially the plants. Some highlights:

Mimulus ringens (Allegheny monkeyflower) 

This was my first time meeting this plant! Check out that colour.


Urtricularia vulgaris ssp. macrorhiza (American bladderwort)

This year was the first I've seen so much bladderwort! I've only seen it in situ maybe two times in the past. In fact, I only found out about these native carnivorous plants a few years ago.


Rubus spp. (blackberry)

Unfortunately unripe, but plants are protected in the preserves, anyhow. 
They're very pretty, though!


Silphium laciniatum (compass plant)

I love how these tower over everything else. They're most stunning on a beautiful sunny day with the bright blue sky to contrast the sunny yellow ray florets. I planted one in the pollinator garden when we moved into the house, but it has yet to flower.



Veronicastrum virginicum (Culver's root)

This lovely native plant always has pollinators all over it, every time I've come across them. Easily one of my favourite natives to see at Chicago Botanic's prairie garden (located in the Native Plant Garden). I love it so much, I added some to my pollinator garden.


Eryngium yuccifolium (rattlesnake master)

I love Yucca filamentosa, and here in NE Illinois there are plenty that have naturalised along the dunes of Lake Michigan. I love that E. yuccifolium has similar foliage (hence the specific epithet), and is native. This member of the Apiaceae has unique flowers!


Baptisia alba (white wild indigo)

I love the gorgeous white blooms! I don't commonly come across this beauty.


As I made my way through the last patch of the dark woods at the end of my journey, I couldn't help but admire the sunlight streaming through the trees. It reminded me of a quote I love, by C.S. Lewis:

“Any patch of sunlight in a wood will show you something about the sun which you could never get from reading books on astronomy. These pure and spontaneous pleasures are ‘patches of Godlight’ in the woods of our experience.”

It was a lovely way to end my hike.

Patches of Godlight

~~~
If you live in or around Lake County, I recommend you check out our forest preserves, and hike the trails if you get the chance!

Nature has helped me battle depression and anxiety, and for that I am thankful. Combined with medicine, CBT, and a great support system, I've felt more resilient than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular