adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

05 March 2019

A Plant Nerd in Peoria: Luthy Botanical Garden ft. Forest Park Nature Center


Luthy Botanical Garden


In summer 2018 I had the great pleasure of visiting Luthy Botanical Garden. It spans 5 acres, with 15 themed gardens and a conservatory. This is one of the smaller botanic gardens I've visited, but it was delightful all the same.

I entered the garden through a side gate, wandering down the shaded trail. A beautiful maple immediately caught my eye (Perhaps Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'? I believe the label in front of it said Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' - a different "full moon maple").


Veering right into sunny Crabapple Cove, there was so much texture and colour to take in!

The purple-pink flowers of Eutrochium maculatum matched the nearby blooms of Tamarix africana (African tamarisk) and Lycoris squamigera (ressurection lily).

    

Another tree lured me over with its cool leaves: Fagus sylvatica 'Asplenifolia' (fernleaf beech).


Moving on into the conservatory, I took a moment to admire the rows of sori on Asplenium antiquum (bird's nest fern) and a cherub statue tangled in foliage, tucked away in a corner.


The conservatory included lush tropical plants, including a HUGE Codiaeum variegatum (croton), and succulents. One of the best highlights for me was a succulent member of the Apocynaceae, Huernia zebrina (little owl eyes)! The flowers are oddly beautiful. The dark red rim of the flower, known as the annulus, is why another common name is lifesaver plant. Asclepiads are some of my favourite plants!



Wandering back outside, I made my way into the dappled sunlight of the Woodland Garden, where I saw so many male cardinals my heart could have burst! Cardinals have great significance to me because my late Grandma Sandy loved them. She taught me what they sound like when I was a child, so every time I see or hear them I think of her. It is also said that cardinals symbolise a greeting from a passed love one.


Passing by the Hosta Glade there was fragrant Clethra alnifolia (summersweet) swarming with pollinators such as ailanthus webworm moths and wasps!


Onward down the rambling paths of the Herb and Cottage gardens, I encountered Artemisia abrotanum (southernwood) and Silene regia (royal catchfly). I found the layout to be lovely, with more crowded plantings that I favour in my own garden. The stone seat and sundial added some extra charm.





After a glimpse of a bunny in the Dwarf Conifer Garden (which was reminiscent of the larger one at Chicago Botanic), I went around the All Seasons Garden, looking up at the green of a Taxodium distichum (bald cypress) canopy, with Patches of Godlight peeking through to contrast cone and branch silhouettes.






The Viburnum Border was a beautiful combination of Veronicastrum virginicum (Culver's root), Asclepias incarnata (swamp milkweed), A. tuberosa (butterfly weed), Echinacea purpurea (coneflower), Rudbeckia hirta (black eyed Susan), and Silphium perfoliatum (cup plant). I also noticed Physostegia virginiana (obedient plant) and as usual I had to play with it.





As some of the gardens were seemingly under construction and a wedding was being held shortly, I rushed through the last few areas: The Gazebo, the Fountain, and Wildlife, Children's, and Rose Garden. I was especially fond of the motherhood statue next to a trellis with Campsis radicans 'Flava' (yellow trumpet vine), as well as the variegated Fagus sylvatica 'Roseomarginata' (tricolor beech). I spotted a second bunny and the largest Ginkgo biloba specimen I've ever seen!








As my adventure came to a close, one last botanical delight was in store for me, peeking through the gate in the parking lot: Rubus odoratus (purple-flowering raspberry)! Before I left, I made sure to say goodbye to the historic Triebel Lions in front of the zoo.





Forest Park Nature Center



Forest Park Nature Center has seven miles of trails and a cute little shop. I didn't take many plant photos, but did snap a few of a doe and two fawns that crossed my path!







~~~

Finally! I had the unfinished post sitting in drafts for months.

I hope to visit Luthy Botanical Garden again in the future! Keep an eye out for my eventual post about my day hiking and exploring of Starved Rock State Park, which I visited on my way back home to Lake County.

1 comment:

popular