adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

16 August 2021

Road Trip Up North: Wisconsin Nature Adventures with Alaina

For the second year in a row I was able to tag along with my wonderful friend Alaina when she visited her family in Northern Wisconsin. 

We started out as coworkers at my first hotel job years ago and quickly became friends. We had dreamed of being able to go to her hometown, and she would tell me stories of what it was like growing up that far north. For years we planned on going to Copper Falls someday, but the first time I was able to make the trip, there was a downpour so we did a rain check quite literally.

On this second trip the weather was perfect. Not a rain cloud in sight! Alaina dressed in neutral greys, and I threw on a pink shirt. Naturally, I couldn't go on the hike we had been waiting ten years for without a souvenir hat, so a quick jaunt to the only gas station in town was in order for my green plaid Up North hat. Obnoxious combo of green and pink? Check. All set for out hike!

The smile of someone who knows she cannot escape now.
 

Off we went to Copper Falls State Park. It was about an hour and a half drive, but long stretches of road with Alaina is never problem. We finally arrived and after parking, my feet hit the pavement and I just felt a sense of accomplishment. Over ten years of promising my best friend we would hike Copper Falls! And finally, finally, we were here! And so we went onwards, onto the dirt path, over bridges, up and down steps.

Alaina had to poke fun at me because I immediately jumping into taking photos of a plant. But there was a plant AND a bug! :)



You'd think after hiking with me at Big Falls on the last trip, poor Alaina would have ran away screaming at the thought of a second hike with me. Not only did she not scream (or, at least she screamed internally!) she invited me to go on an hours long road trip that would include even more hiking! Well, shit happens.

No, really, it does. And sometimes butterflies are involved.



We stumbled upon this sight about halfway into our hike, fortunately for me but not so much Alaina. I may or may not have been on my elbows and knees, hovering around poo butterflies, and taking no less than thirty (30) pictures of this scene. I didn't look behind me but I'm pretty sure Alaina was face palming the whole time. 

After the pooperfly incident, we moved along and I noticed two plants: teeny tiny Myosotis arvensis and graceful Cornus canadensis!





And all throughout the hike we saw some impressive views. There were many beautiful waterfalls and gorgeous gorges to see. The Bad River was a pretty consistent sight during the hike.




After all those beautiful views, once we made it back to the car we had a sense of accomplishment. After all these years of planning, and after one disappointing year of being so close but not being able to go...we did it! I am so grateful to Alaina and her family for their hospitality, and the opportunity to go on adventures!


~~~


Click here for more photos!


~~~


I think I had planned on typing up more at the end there, but I've been going through a lot of med changes and depressive episodes, so I started slacking on this post. At this point I just need to get it posted since I have more posts from last year in drafts and I have to type up about more recent adventures before my memories fade too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular