adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

30 September 2021

Illinois Beach State Park: Expect the Unexpected

 I had two interesting experiences at Illinois Beach State Park during a hike in June of 2020:

The first was realizing there was yet another insect that is dependent on milkweed: Cycnia inopinatus, the unexpected cycnia moth. I found this one on Asclepias tuberosa, butterfly weed.


I actually thought it was a weird instar of the milkweed tussock moth, Euchaetes egle, initially. I certainly was not expecting this caterpillar! I love learning more about the nature around me.


The second was finding out dung beetles live in the same town I grew up in!



How cool are those?! I have hiked and volunteered in IBSP quite a bit and never knew about dung beetles!

~~~

Keeping this one short and sweet because I'm working on the NC trip posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular