adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

27 May 2014

Why succulents?

If you haven't noticed, while I have many different plants, I am most obsessed with succulents. Even as far as propagation goes, I could concentrate on the Spider Plant, or the Snake Plants, but my main focus is on the succulents. In fact, its not just me. If you spend some time browsing the Gardening tag on Pinterest, you'll often see succulents galore. There are shelves full of these plants at stores, even at Wal-Mart.

So...what's the big deal? Why succulents, you ask?
 


Succulent popularity is booming because they are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and there are so many varieties to collect. Certain succulents are simple to propagate via stem cuttings or even leaves, so if you buy one plant you are, in essence, buying several if you're willing to give them some time and patience.



If you aren't quite sure if you've ever heard of succulents, think again. Aloe is a succulent! Succulents can grow outdoors, or you can stick them in a pot on the window sill. Even better, put them in a terrarium. They're so hardy and beautiful that you can even put them into offbeat containers such as tea cups, bird cages, and sieves, to name a few. Some people even make succulent wreaths and hanging succulent garden frames! The possibilities are endless.



They make beautiful centrepieces for weddings, and better yet, wedding favours. Want to give Mom a great Mother's Day present? Give her a succulent you grew from a leaf! You can even look into local succulent enthusiasts and trade them.

If you have trouble keeping plants alive, I highly suggest trying succulents out. Not only are they hardy, but their price range is generally $2.99 - $12.99 depending on the size and type. For example, most of the succulents I bought were under five bucks. I saw a huge strawberry jar with many Sempervivum (hen and chicks) succulents for ~$10!

No comments:

Post a Comment