adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

30 June 2014

Anacampseros rufescens!

I am sooooo in love with this little cutie! We went to Lowe's after we finished our weekend garage sale, and I spotted this lovely little plant:




It was under $3, about $3.20 after tax. I finally grabbed a bag of cacti mix and gravel (we got them really cheap at Menard's) to put in our new containers. Steve's dad used to use them for bonsai trees, and they have since been sitting in the garage collecting dust. They are perfect for my succulents!



I am so amazed at how pretty these leaves are. Look at the purple on them! The colours remind me of x Graptosedum 'Vera Higgins'. This is by far my favourite so far. I'm also very excited because they propagate via leaf, which is my favourite method!

I used some of these containers already for my succulents, as I had to repot them (they were in regular soil which wasn't very good). The holes are rather big, so the gravel and cacti mix would fall through easily. I remedied this by cutting little squares of screening and putting them over the holes before dumping on the layer of gravel.





While I was taking these pics I noticed how lovely the lemon seedlings and itty bitty succulent babies are! I just had to take a couple of pics.



 


Anyways, I had mentioned a garage sale. We didn't sell as much as we would have liked, but at least some things sold. Yay for less clutter! I also snagged this at a neighbour's sale:






It was only a dollar, so I figured hey, why not? I'm sure one of the little Spider plants will do well in this, or perhaps the Philodendron.

That was our first garage sale so we didn't do too shabby. I really enjoyed this weekend. Spending time with Steve and his family makes me really happy.

Also, on Friday we went canoeing for the first time. That was terrifying at first, but once I realised I wasn't going to sink and drown, I stopped being scared and started enjoying the experience. I definitely worked my arms out. Unfortunately we did not take any pictures because we didn't want to risk our phones or camera dropping in the water. We plan on taking the kids on a peddle boat out on that same lake, soon. Perhaps I will ask the rental staff to snap a picture for us before we head out.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular