adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

21 July 2014

Chicago Botanic Garden: Succulents & Bromeliads

On Saturday we went to the Chicago Botanic Garden with Steve's sibling and Ari. It was about a 45 minute drive, and parking was $25 for our car. There were so many beautiful gardens, but we didn't have a full day to dedicate to wandering.


We were lucky enough to hit up the bromeliad, succulent, and cacti show & sale. I didn't snap any pictures of that because I was too busy browsing and chatting with some of the members of the Cactus & Succulent Society of Greater Chicago and the Bromeliad Society of Greater Chicago. There were so many beautiful plants for sale! Some of my favourites were Cephalocereus senilis {Old Man Cactus} and Euphorbia tirucalli {Fire Sticks}.

There were gorgeous succulents for $7.50 but I opted for some pretty Tillandsia spp. {Air Plants}...





...a Guzmania lingulata {Scarlet Star}...



...and a lovely Haworthia 'Hayashi'.


 

Steve snagged an Operculicarya decaryi...




The show plants were wonderful to see as well. I hope that some of my succulents and bromeliads grow to be that impressive one day!

My absolute favourite place to wander through was the Arid Greenhouse. I decided a slideshow would be the best format to present these photos in. I will let the photos speak for themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

popular