adventure archive

featured adventure

Lincoln Park Conservatory

I meant to finish this up and post it around February, but I've been busy with life! Finally, here's the post about my visit to LP...

27 June 2023

Carolina On My Mind: Part 2, JC Raulston Arboretum & NC Museum of Natural Sciences

For many years I browsed Pinterest for ideas of which places I might like to go when we made our way to NC finally. I remember every year I would update my "NC Roadtrip 20__" to reflect the upcoming year. 

One of the public gardens I was highly interested in was JC Raulston Arboretum. I had a whole day to dedicate to Raleigh, so I gladly chose to take a nice garden stroll there.


After stepping out of the car and making my way down a path, the first plants I noticed were Iris domestica (blackberry lily) and Eucomis 'Reuben' (a pineapple lily hybrid). Woah! 




There waws a cool bee hotel.


The Perrenial Border was abundant with colour and texture.



I don't remember where exactly I wandered for a bit, but I ended up with these views:




And eventually I made it to the Trial Garden area!




And then the Lath House:




This is where I started to really swoon: the Japanese Garden! Which then lead to the Asian Valley, where I sat a spell in the shade. A cool snail and cute pipevine swallowtail kept me company.






It felt magical to be sitting in a beautiful space dedicated to showcasing plants from the same places my ancestors came from. After a crazy year of anti-Asian terror that made me feel unsafe even in my favourite places, I felt a sense of peace and protection here.



I managed to find my way to the Xeric Garden and Scree Garden before I took another rest at the water feature. 





I popped into the Visitor Center to purchase a JCRA shirt, a pin, a couple books, and snag a few of the free magazines and info pamphlets, then said my goodbye to this wonderful place at the beautiful gate.




After Steve picked me up, we grabbed a bite to eat at Jasmin and Olivz, then took the kids to the NC Museum of Natural Sciences. We really enjoyed the exhibits. I thought the blue bottle tree was cool!




~~~

Check out more photos here!

~~~

I have a few more posts for the NC trip. Our latest road trip was to Virginia. Hopefully it won't take me a year or two to get around to blogging about it!

As always, you can check out my microblogging on Instagram: @efflorescency!

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular